Saturday, September 19, 2009

NewVa Demo Day and Tech Expo 2009


On Friday, September 18th, the NewVA Corridor Technology Council held a Demo Day and Tech Expo at the Roanoke Civic Center. All visitors were welcome to come and join NCTC in the event, which Mary Miller, President of NCTC, aptly described as “a ‘show and tell’ for tech companies in the NewVA region.”

“Think of it as a science fair for regional innovation and cooperation,” she stated further in NCTC’s Attendee Packet.

It was exactly that! I had pre-registered on their website to be a visitor, and at the last moment requested that I bring the Star City FAME video camera. I knew it was going to be a treat. I’m so glad they said yes to me, because this video will be both educational and fun to watch. I ran across many eye-catching hi-tech wares from businesses in the area. But most special were exhibitions set up by students and their organizations. I have never felt more optimistic since attending the Tech Expo, particularly after talking to high school students and their mentors on the different projects they are working on together.

Let me give you the day’s highlights, although I’m sure I missed out on quite a few things. (I am only one guy with one camera, after all.) First, I headed over to the Welcoming Presentation, given by Mary Miller and Founding Dean of the Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine, Cynda Johnson. Ms Johnson spoke about the developments of the new teaching hospital, its importance to our healthcare excellence, and the positive future economic impact of having the VT-Carilion program here in Roanoke.

Afterwards, I ran off to speak with some of the day’s exhibitors. I thought I would video several people, but as it turned out, I spoke with ten different organizations about their products, services, and most importantly, about their innovations.

What turned out most impressive at the Expo were the student-oriented tables. By this I mean not only college students, but high school and younger. I was pleased to see Junior Achievement represented at the event, and I had spoken at length with its President, Katherin Elam, about the organization that I remember very well having a presence in my high school over thirty years ago. Also, I had spoken with several reps and high school students from the US First organization, which mentors and coaches children, and has several age group competitions in science and technology, such as robotics. Lastly I encountered Virginia Western Community College, whose representative and Administrative Officer, Leah Coffman, spoke to me on projects they sponsor for youngsters in teaching technical skills.

Of course, there were the fun things for motor heads like me. I interviewed two Virginia Tech SAE teams (Baja and Formula) who are part of the Mechanical Engineering program at VT. They brought their vehicles with them to show and describe to visitors. (I think I could have asked to get in one of them, but I’m afraid I would not have been able to climb out very easily at my age.)

I also spoke with businesses and local organizations on camera, so there will be a nice blend of professional-level and up-and-coming young new technology stars to look forward to in near future. It was a pleasure meeting them all. I know you will enjoy seeing and learning more about them too when I post the video interviews.

I hope to present the video on the Star City FAME YouTube Channel as soon as I coordinate final edits with NCTC’s cooperation. (Maybe it’ll even make it on their website!) So look out for that. The Roanoke region and the New River Valley are our great hotspots for technology bringing us a host of bright, talented minds.

If you stopped by the NTCT Demo Day and Tech Expo, let me know what you thought about it. I welcome your comments.

See you around Downtown!!

No comments:

Post a Comment